I’ve been a person for a handful of years now and I feel like I’ve generally had a bit of success at figuring it out. Like Kid President tells us, “being a person is hard sometimes”, so I thought I’d share a few of the things that I have found to be helpful ways of succeeding at being a person. It ought to be noted that I’ve only had a brief twenty-something years of trying to figure this out, so take these tips with a grain (or ten) of salt.
- Don’t be a jerk.
- Learn to see rightly, to listen humbly, to know truthfully, to speak courageously and to care deeply.
- Get sleep. Eat food. Do exercise. Drink coffee. Humans have a tendency to be jerks without these things.
- The Gospel. Do it. (which includes “thou shall not be a jerk unto thy fellow humans”)
- Be nice to people, just because.
- Stop being prejudice. That’s what jerks do.
- People are weird. I’m weird, you’re weird, they’re weird – it’s fine, embrace it.
- Jesus – not a jerk. Follow suit.
- Be generous with what you have and content with what you don’t.
- Don’t be a jerk; in case I didn’t mention that already.
These may seem like 10 fairly simple things, but once you add the complexities and stress of being a person, it can be very easy to forget to do them. We will fail to do all of these all the time, it’s okay. Bonus tip number 11 is forgive. Forgive others and yourself when we fail, because without that we’re not gonna get anywhere.